Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about applying to UT and some tips to help you with the application process. Remember, our helpful team is always here to help if you have further questions. Give us a call at 865-974-1111 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Visits and Admissions Programs
- Campus Tours: Log into your VIP account or visit events schedule to choose your date and time. If you visit us on a weekday, meet us at the UT Visitors Center at 2712 Neyland Drive, Knoxville, TN, 37996. Saturday tours start at Office of Undergraduate Admissions, at 320 Student Services Building, 1331 Circle Park Drive, Knoxville, TN, 37996.
- Events: Log into your VIP account to see your event invitations and to register. For details about each program, visit admissions.utk.edu/events.
- Questions about visiting campus or attending programs? Contact us at 865-946-8687 or email@example.com.
- November 1: Priority deadline for admission and competitive scholarships. Apply for admission by this date. Once admitted, you will receive a link to the scholarship application, which is must be submitted by December 15.
- December 15: Regular admission and institutional scholarships deadline. Apply for admission by December 1 to be considered for institutional scholarships, including the Volunteer Scholarship.
Submitting Your Application
- Submit your application beginning in August at vip.utk.edu or via Common App. If you are using vip.utk.edu, please open the link in Firefox or Chrome for best results.
- Need help with your VIP log in? Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Forgot VIP log in. Include your first name, last name, date of birth, and e-mail address.
- For admission, we require: your application, GPA, ACT or SAT scores, and one short-answer essay.
- For admission, we consider: rigor of your high school curriculum and difficulty of senior-level coursework, extracurricular or leadership activities and awards, special talents or skills, personal statement (optional), and letters of recommendation (optional).
- The essay is a short-answer question (2 to 3 paragraphs or 250-650 words), while your personal statement is a longer-answer response, where you can share details about your experiences and interests. Please note that if you selected any of the 5 prompts in the Personal Essay part of the CommonApp application, you may copy that essay and paste it into your UT required essay on the custom question.
- Submit your application early! You can add and update your supporting materials such as test scores, mid-year grades, awards or other recognition that you plan on including in your application for admission file throughout the academic year.
- If you are planning to major in architecture, interior design, engineering, nursing, or music, click here to read about additional admission review and specific requirements for each program.
- Need help with your application? Contact your UT counselor or our office M–F 8 a.m.–5 p.m. EST at 865-974-1111 or email@example.com.
GPA & Test Scores
- UT calculates a weighted core GPA, accounting for Honors, AP, IB, and college dual enrollment courses. You can send us your updated transcripts up to your final eighth semester.
- UT calculates your core GPA from courses completed in sixteen core academic subjects listed at requirements. However, your chances of admission will not be affected if you don’t have one or more of those courses.
- We consider the highest ACT and SAT subscores to calculate a composite super score. You can retake the tests and send us your new scores through December 31 (if you wish to be considered for scholarships) or through March (for admission consideration).
- UT’s test codes are 4026 for ACT, 1843 for SAT.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- UT’s competitive scholarships require one recommendation and an application essay. You can apply by December 15 AFTER you have been offered admission.
- Scholarship applications require one recommendation from a teacher or school counselor. Additional recommendations are optional. If you submitted a recommendation with your application for admission, we will also use it towards your scholarship application.
- The Volunteer Scholarship is offered to first-time freshmen with a minimum 3.8 UT Weighted Core GPA and a minimum 28 ACT or 1250 SAT (test scores prior to March 2016; updates will be provided as soon as they are received) super score who apply for admission by December 15.
- Be sure to complete your FAFSA application by UT’s February 15 priority deadline. Our code is 003530.
- If you are a Tennessee resident, you may be eligible for the UT Pledge or UT Promise Scholarship. You must apply for admission by December 15 and submit your FAFSA by February 15. If eligible and admitted as a freshman, you will automatically receive one of these awards.
- If you are a Tennessee resident, you may be considered for the HOPE scholarship. Submit your FAFSA early, but the deadline for fall semester awards is September 1 of your college entry year.
- Information about your residency classification is available on the registrar’s website.
Admission & Scholarship Decisions
- You should receive a response with a preliminary or final admission decision within a few weeks after your application is complete. Check your VIP account for any news. The earlier you complete your application, the earlier we can start reviewing it.
- Most competitive scholarships are awarded between January and March, and need-based scholarships and other forms of financial aid based on a student’s FAFSA are awarded in mid-March. Volunteer Scholarship awards are usually offered within two weeks of being admitted.
- Within three to five working days from being admitted, check the status page in your VIP account to acquire your NetID and Student ID number.
- Next, set up your NetID password at directory.utk.edu/setup.
- Use your NetID and password to log into MyUTK at my.utk.edu.
- Once you log into your MyUTK portal, use your Student ID number to confirm your enrollment by paying the $250 deposit and secure your place in the incoming freshmen class at UT. The confirmation deadline is May 1.
- Check your MyUTK account often for an interactive list of required tasks to complete before your campus arrival, as well as important information about registering for housing, orientation, classes, and more.