The Come See Tennessee Overnight Visit Program is an exciting, free, overnight visit for high-achieving multicultural high school seniors. While on Rocky Top, students learn about academic opportunities, financial aid, and experience student life from a multicultural lens.
The event will be held Friday, September 30 through Saturday, October 1, 2022.
While on campus, students will meet staff and faculty from our academic colleges, current students, and network with other prospective Volunteers from across the country! Students will also learn valuable resources UT offers to support them during their time at UT.
Housing and transportation from select locations will be provided to all student attendees.
There are three easy steps to apply to attend Come See Tennessee!
- Create a Go Vols account. Visit govols.utk.edu to get started!
- Complete your online Come See Tennessee Overnight Visit application by September 2, 2022 to attend.
- Consistently check your email inbox! All further correspondence regarding the 2022 Come See Tennessee Overnight Visit Program will be sent via e-mail. Please be sure to check your email daily as some e-mails will require a prompt response from you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How much does the Come See Tennessee Program cost?
This program has no charge. UT provides lodging, meals on campus, and transportation from select locations. We do encourage you to bring money for snacks, UT merchandise, and/or fast food stops.
What is the deadline to register for Come See Tennessee?
The deadline to submit your Come See Tennessee 2022 application is Friday, September 2, 2022. Space is limited, so apply today!
How will I know if I’m selected?
We will notify you by e-mail of your selection for the program. Students will be selected based on a holistic review of criteria including their academic profile. Once we receive and process all the submissions, an email regarding your status will be sent to you, so please be sure the email address you provide is correct.
If I am selected, what are the next steps?
All participants will be notified if they have been selected to attend Come See Tennessee. If selected, you will be notified via email and must confirm attendance to the program by the confirmation deadline provided.
How do I get to campus?
- The Undergraduate Admissions Office will provide transportation for students living in or around Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta, Georgia to the Knoxville campus. Due to limited space on our buses, we will conduct a competitive selection process so make sure your application is complete!
- If you do not live in one of the transport areas, you will need to arrange alternative transportation. Students may drive; however, we recommend that a parent/guardian bring you or drop you off. There is no cost for a student to attend this program, and campus parking is complimentary.
Where do I meet the buses?
- Memphis, TN
Buses will depart from Memphis from the Super Walmart on Highway 64, across from the Wolfchase Galleria Mall. Students will need money for food to and from Knoxville. The bus will stop outside of Nashville for fast food. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
- Nashville, TN
Buses will depart from Nashville at Opry Mills Mall at Entrance 1 (near the Nike Factory Store, H&M, and Chuy’s) on Briley Parkway. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
- Chattanooga, TN
Buses will depart from Chattanooga from Hamilton Place Mall in the Dave & Buster’s parking lot. Students will need to eat lunch prior to boarding the bus. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
- Atlanta, GA
Buses will depart from Atlanta from Cumberland Mall in the Macy’s parking lot (the side of Macy’s adjacent to the Food Court entrance). Students will need to eat lunch prior to boarding the bus. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
What if I am driving myself?
Plan to meet at the Hilton Hotel Downtown between 4:45-5:00 p.m. EST in the lobby. If your travel arrangements will cause you to arrive after 5 p.m. EST, email us at email@example.com so we can prepare accordingly.
Hilton Downtown Knoxville
501 W Church Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37902
Traveling I-75 North to I-40 East (or I-40 East from all points west of Knoxville)
Take exit 388 toward Downtown (stay in left lane)
Continue through tunnel toward downtown
At second traffic light, turn left onto Church Street
The Hilton Knoxville will be on your left
Traveling I-81 South to I-40 West (or I-40 West from all points east of Knoxville)
Take the Hall of Fame Drive Exit
Turn left onto Hall of Fame Drive
Turn right onto Summit Hill Drive
Continue straight on Summit Hill Drive
After crossing Gay Street, turn left onto Locust Street (by the fire station)
Travel three blocks to Church Avenue, and turn left at the traffic light
The Hilton Knoxville will be on your left
Where will I stay during the program?
Students will stay in hotel rooms at the Hilton Downtown Knoxville. UT staff and student leaders will also be staying in the hotel and provide supervision.
Note: Students will only room with one other student. UT staff will assign roommates at random.
What’s on the agenda?
We will provide a more detailed agenda closer to the program date, but we have provided a general overview below.
Attendees will arrive and and check in at the hotel, and enjoy dinner with current students, faculty and staff from across campus, and community partners. The remainder of the evening will be spent connecting with current students and other prospective Volunteers.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided. Students will enjoy a full day of programming around the UT experience.
What do I need to bring?
- One small overnight bag
- Personal shower & toiletry materials
- Comfortable shoes and clothing appropriate for indoor, outdoor and walking.
- Spending money for souvenirs and food/snacks while traveling
- It is advisable, but not required that students bring a cell phone on the trip to inform rides of accurate return time.
You may also bring your favorite DVD movies for viewing on the buses. UT staff riding the buses will make the final selection of movies to be played.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 865-974-1111.