The Come See Tennessee Overnight Visit Program held October 29-30 is an exciting and unique two-day experience that provides multicultural high school seniors an opportunity to visit Rocky Top. Selected students from across the nation will form meaningful relationships with current UT student leaders, faculty, and staff.
This overnight visit program provides each senior a chance to encounter life on campus through our Day 2 Big Orange Preview. Students will learn more about academic opportunities, financial aid, and student life.
There are three easy steps to apply to attend Come See Tennessee!
- Start your fall application for admission to UT. Visit govols.utk.edu or commonapp.org to apply!
- Complete your online Come See Tennessee Overnight Visit application by October 15, 2021 to attend October 29-30. (Dates subject to change)
- Consistently check your email inbox! All further correspondence regarding the 2021 Come See Tennessee Overnight Visit Program will be sent via e-mail. Please be sure to check your email daily as some e-mails will require a prompt response from you.
All correspondence regarding Come See Tennessee will be sent via e-mail. Please be sure to check your email daily as some e-mails will require a prompt response from you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How much does the Come See Tennessee Program cost?
This program has no charge. UT provides transportation, meals on campus, and lodging. We do encourage you to bring money for snacks, UT merchandise, and/or fast food stops.
What is the deadline to register for Come See Tennessee?
The deadline to submit your Come See Tennessee 2021 application is Friday, September 3, 2021 for the September visit and Friday, October 8, 2021 for the October visit. Space is limited, so apply today!
How will I know if I’m selected?
We will notify you by e-mail of your selection for the program. Students will be selected based on a holistic review of criteria including submission of the Fall 2021 admission application, date of registration, and academic profile. Once we receive and process all the submissions, an e-mail regarding your status will be sent to you, so please be sure the e-mail address you provide is correct.
If I am selected, what are the next steps?
All participants will be notified if they have been selected to attend Come See Tennessee. If selected, you will be notified via email and must confirm attendance to the program by the confirmation deadline provided.
How do I get to campus?
- The Undergraduate Admissions Office will provide transportation for students living in or around Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta, Georgia to the Knoxville campus. Due to limited space on our buses, we will conduct a competitive selection process so make sure your application is complete!
- If you do not live in one of the transport areas, you will need to arrive by car. Students may drive; however, we recommend that a parent/guardian bring you or drop you off. While there is no cost for a student to attend this program and campus parking is complimentary, there is a charge to park at the hotel.
Where do I meet the buses?
- Memphis, TN
Buses will depart from Memphis from the Super Walmart on Highway 64, across from the Wolfchase Galleria Mall. Students will need money for food to and from Knoxville. The bus will stop outside of Nashville for fast food. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
- Nashville, TN
Buses will depart from Nashville at Opry Mills Mall at Entrance 1 (near the Nike Factory Store, H&M, and Chuy’s) on Briley Parkway. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
- Chattanooga, TN
Buses will depart from Chattanooga from Hamilton Place Mall in the Dave & Buster’s parking lot. Students will need to eat lunch prior to boarding the bus. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
- Atlanta, GA
Buses will depart from Atlanta from Cumberland Mall in the Macy’s parking lot (the side of Macy’s adjacent to the Food Court entrance). Students will need to eat lunch prior to boarding the bus. Dates and times of departure will be included in the confirmation email.
What if I am driving myself?
Plan to meet at the Hilton Hotel Downtown between 4:45 p.m.—5:00 p.m. Eastern Time in the lobby. If you plan to arrive after 5 p.m., email JaNay’ Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org to make alternate arrangements.
Hilton Downtown Knoxville
501 W Church Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37902
Traveling I-75 North to I-40 East (or I-40 East from all points west of Knoxville)
Take exit 388 toward Downtown (stay in left lane)
Continue through tunnel toward downtown
At second traffic light, turn left onto Church Street
The Hilton Knoxville will be on your left
Traveling I-81 South to I-40 West (or I-40 West from all points east of Knoxville)
Take the Hall of Fame Drive Exit
Turn left onto Hall of Fame Drive
Turn right onto Summit Hill Drive
Continue straight on Summit Hill Drive
After crossing Gay Street, turn left onto Locust Street (by the fire station)
Travel three blocks to Church Avenue, and turn left at the traffic light
The Hilton Knoxville will be on your left
Where will I stay during the program?
Students will stay in hotel rooms at the Hilton Downtown Knoxville. UT staff and student leaders will also be staying in the hotel and provide supervision.
Note: Students will only room with one other student. UT staff will assign roommates at random.
What do I need to bring?
- One small overnight bag
- Personal shower & toiletry materials
- Comfortable shoes and clothing appropriate for indoor, outdoor and walking.
- Spending money for souvenirs and food/snacks while traveling
- It is advisable, but not required that students bring a cell phone on the trip to inform rides of accurate return time.
You may also bring your favorite DVD movies for viewing on the buses. UT staff riding the buses will make the final selection of movies to be played.
Email JaNay’ Turner email@example.com or call 865-974-1111.