The University of Tennessee LEAD Summer Institute (UTLSI)
What is LEAD?
- LEAD is an important part of The University of Tennessee’s commitment to helping all UT students become successful in their academic work and in their college careers.
- Each year, LEAD offers programs for all first year students to help them become familiar with campus and with the many free academic resources available to them.
- LEAD is headquartered in the Student Success Center, a central focus on campus for academic assistance.
What is the UT LEAD Summer Institute?
- UTLSI is a five-week summer academic program on the Knoxville campus.
- The 11th annual UTLSI program will be held July 6 – August 10, 2018 for 40 selected incoming first-year students.
Why was I selected to participate in UTLSI?
- UT is committed to providing programs to enhance the success of its students. Select students from UT’s designated “Promise Schools” have been invited to participate in the UTLSI because we believe they will benefit from the program’s advantages and enjoy the experience of living and learning on campus.
What are the benefits of the UTLSI?
- Earn 7 hours of college credit by taking three courses, English 101 (English Composition I), English 103 (The Writing Center), and Math 119 (College Algebra). Each course will allow you to earn college credits at UT and introduce you to college coursework during the more relaxed summer campus atmosphere. UTLSI will cover all of your course costs, including books.
- Learn about the UT campus through information programs and living in a residence hall.
- Meet new people, make friends, and build connections with fellow students, faculty, and staff.
- Receive a grant of $250 bi-weekly (a total of $750 for the 5-week program).
- Additional stipends maybe available to students during their first four semesters at UT
What are my responsibilities during the UTLSI?
- Attend and be an active participant in your classes.
- Participate in special events.
- During the UTLSI program, you will be subject to the rules and regulations required of all UT students that are explained in the UT Undergraduate Catalog and in the Hilltopics Student Handbook.
Where will I live during UTLSI?
- UTLSI participants will live in a residence hall located near the center of campus close to the UT main library, Student Union, and recreation center (TRecs)
- All rooms are air conditioned and have two single beds and a micro-fridge.
- The residence hall also has a recreational area, a study room, and a laundry facility.
- The Student Union and Presidential Court Dining Hall are located near the residence hall. Both have a variety of food options, a computer lab, and a convenience store in the lobby.
- You will share a room with another UTLSI student.
How much will it cost me to attend UTLSI?
- The costs of your tuition and fees, housing, meal plan, and books for the five-week term are paid for by the UTLSI program.
- Transportation by bus at the beginning and end of the program will be provided for students from Memphis and Nashville.
- Be sure to complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA as soon as possible, if not already submitted. You and your parents/guardians may obtain your required Personal Identification Numbers (PIN) and find the FAFSA forms online at www.fafsa.gov. If admitted to the UTLSI program, then students will be asked to submit a prior year (2017-2018) FAFSA for summer enrollment; further details and instructions will follow if applicable.
Can I enroll at UT in fall 2018 if I do not participate in the UTLSI?
No. Your admission to UT for the fall semester of 2017 requires that you participate in the UTLSI program.
What do I need to do to participate in UTLSI?
- Attend a MANDATORY information meeting (parents are invited) and interview (student only) which will be held in your city.
- Knoxville, TN – Tuesday, January 23; 5:30–8pm
UT Visitor’s Center, 2712 Neyland Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996
- Chattanooga, TN – Wednesday, January 24; 5:30–8pm
Tyner High School, 6836 Tyner Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421
- Memphis, TN – Saturday, January 27; 10am–3pm
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 800 Madison Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103
- Nashville, TN – Sunday, January 28; 1–5:30pm
University of Tennessee College of Social Work Building, 193 Polk Avenue, Nashville, TN 37210
- Knoxville, TN – Tuesday, January 23; 5:30–8pm
- Return the appropriate RSVP form below by Friday January 17, 2018 (No money is due at this time).
- UTLSI participation is limited to the first 40 students to return the required information.
How can my parents/guardians and I get more information about the UTLSI?
- Return the appropriate RSVP form below by Friday January 17, 2017. You may retain the invitation letter and this information sheet for your own records.
- Attend the MANDATORY meeting and interview in January for you and your parents/guardians to meet with us and ask questions about UTLSI.
I have been admitted. What’s next?
- Log in to vip.utk.edu to get your NetID.
- Visit directory.utk.edu/setup to set up your password.
- With your NetID and password, you can log in to MyUTK at my.utk.edu. You will also use these to activate your UT email address, which is the official means of communication between the university and students.
- Be sure to check your UT email often for important updates from UT about housing, orientation, financial aid, and much more.
- Return the enclosed confirmation form and a $75 money order to confirm your enrollment at UT and secure your spot in the 2018 UTLSI program.
- The confirmation form and deposit deadline is April 1, 2018.
- As a UTLSI student, you must complete a housing contract for both summer and fall. Please select Second Session on your summer housing contract
- Your housing contract confirmations and roommate preferences selection information will be sent to your UT email account shortly after you confirm your enrollment. If you wish to commute, instructions on how to appeal will also included.
- Confirm your contracts and complete the roommate preferences information to receive an assignment. You may confirm your housing contract at any time but the earlier the better.
- All single, enrolled first-year students who do not commute from the primary residence of their parent or legal guardian are required to live in university residence halls. First-year students who plan to commute from the primary residence of a parent or guardian must complete a University Housing Residency Requirement Exemption form, available at housing.utk.edu.
- For all questions about housing assignments, please contact University Housing at 865-974-2571, email email@example.com, or visit housing.utk.edu.
- All new students are required to attend orientation. You can find dates, information, and registration at newvols.utk.edu. Select Fall Entry (May 31–June 29).
- During orientation, you will be advised and register for classes. Prior to orientation, you must complete pre-advising. For a list of specific tasks you must complete and items you should consider before attending orientation, vist newvols.utk.edu/prep.
- All UTLSI students must complete both the 2018–19 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the fall/spring semester and the 2017–18 FAFSA for the summer term.
- The forms is available at fafsa.gov. UT’s federal code is 003530. For more information, visit tn.gov/collegepays. Submit your completed FAFSA online as soon as possible.
Please contact Christie Banks, UTLSI Program Director by phone at (865) 974-1159 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.