What is LEAD?
LEAD is an important part of The University of Tennessee’s commitment to helping all UT students become successful in their academic work and in their college careers. Each year, LEAD offers programs for all first year students to help them become familiar with campus and with the many free academic resources available to them.
LEAD is headquartered in the Student Success Center, a central focused on campus for academic assistance.
What is the UT LEAD Summer Institute?
Traditionally, UTLSI has been a five-week summer academic program on the Knoxville campus. This year, due to COVID-19, UTLSI will be a semester–long support institute for 40 selected incoming, first-year students.
Why was I invited to participate in UTLSI?
UT is committed to providing programs to enhance the success of its students. Select students from UT’s designated “Flagship Schools” have been invited to
participate in the UTLSI because we believe they will benefit from the program’s advantages and enjoy the experience of living and learning on campus.
What are the benefits of participating in UTLSI?
- Meet new people, make friends and build connections with fellow students, faculty and staff
- Take courses with others from the UTLSI cohort
- Have access to an individualized academic support through the Student Success Center
- Learn about UT’s campus while being a part of the UTLSI living and learning community in Clement Residence Hall
- Become eligible to receive tuition assistance, book stipends and monthly stipends
What are my responsibilities in the fall as a UTLSI student?
- Attend and be an active participant in all classes
- Attend mandatory study hours, workshops and meetings
- Fulfill community service projects
- During the UTLSI program, you will be subject to the rules and regulations required of all UT students that are explained in the UT Undergraduate Catalog and in the Hilltopics StudentHandbook.
Where will I live as a UTLSI student?
- The UTLSI cohort will live in the Clement Residence Hall LLC (Living & Learning Community). Students will be roomed with another student from the cohort.
- All UTLSI students will be expected to move on campus Wednesday, August 12, 2020.
- Clement Residence hall is in close proximity to the center of campus, main library and student union. All main dining halls are within a quick walk from the residence halls.
- All rooms are air conditioned, have two single beds and a micro-fridge. The residence hall also has a recreational area, study rooms, and a laundry facility.
How much will it cost to be a UTLSI student?
- All UTLSI students are eligible for the Flagship Scholarship that covers tuition and fees
- Additional scholarships and financial aid will be determined according to your 2020-2021 FAFSA. Be sure to complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA as soon as possible, if not already submitted. You and your parents/guardians may obtain your required Personal Identification Numbers (PIN) and find the FAFSA forms online at www.fafsa.gov.
Can I enroll at UT in Fall 2020 as a regular admit if I do not participate in UTLSI?
No. Your admission to UT for the Fall 2020 semester requires that you participate in the program. To opt out of UTLSI would be to forfeit your admission to UT for the fall.
What do I need to do to participate in UTLSI?
Attend a MANDATORY information meeting (parents are invited) and interview (student only) which will be held in your city.
- Chattanooga, TN
Tuesday, January 21; 5–8pm
Tyner High School, 6836 Tyner Road,
Chattanooga, TN 37421
- Knoxville, TN
Thursday, January 23; 5–8pm
Scripps Convergence Lab, 1345 Circle Park
Drive, Room 402B, Knoxville, TN 37996
- Memphis, TN
Saturday, January 25; 10am–4pm
University of Tennessee Health Science Center,
800 Madison Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103
- Nashville, TN
Sunday, January 26; 1–6pm
University of Tennessee College of Social Work
Building, 193 Polk Avenue, Nashville, TN 37210
Register for an interview by Wednesday January 15, 2020.
How can my parents/guardians and I get more information about the UTLSI?
Submit the appropriate RSVP form below by Wednesday January 15, 2020. You may retain the invitation letter and this information sheet for your own records.
Attend the MANDATORY meeting and interview in January for you and your parents/guardians to meet with us and ask questions about UTLSI.
Please contact Talisha Adams, Program Director for UT LEAD and UTLSI by phone at (865) 974-6641.