Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about applying to UT and some tips to help you with the application process. Remember, our helpful team is always here to help if you have further questions. Give us a call at 865-974-1111 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Visits and Admissions Programs
- Campus Tours: Visit govols.utk.edu/portal/campustours to choose your date and time.
- Events: Visit our Events page for registration and event information.
- Questions about visiting campus or attending programs? Contact us at 865-946-TOUR(8687) or email@example.com.
- November 1: Early action deadline for admission. Apply for admission by this date to receive an admissions decision in mid-December, and to be fully considered for Honors & Scholars programs and competitive scholarships. Applicants can apply for competitive scholarships on their admissions application. Applications (essays) for Honors & Scholars programs must be submitted by November 22.
- November 15: Early action deadline for completion. Complete your application by self-reporting your grades and test scores in your Go Vols Portal by this date to receive your admissions decision in mid-December.
- December 15: Regular admission and institutional scholarships deadline. Submit your application by this date to receive an admissions decision in mid-February.
- January 6: Regular application completion deadline. Complete your application by self-reporting your grades and test scores in your Go Vols Portal by this date to receive your admissions decision in mid-February.
Submitting Your Application
- Submit your application beginning in August through your Go Vols account or the Common App.
- For admission, we require: your application, Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR), ACT/SAT test scores, one short-answer essay. Optional items: Recommendations, personal statement.
Please note: Students seeking admission for Summer 2023 and Fall 2023 are required to include standardized test scores as part of their application. Students admitted for Fall 2022 or seeking admission for Spring 2023 can apply without test scores. Read more about UT’s test policy.
- For admission, we consider: rigor of your high school curriculum and difficulty of senior-level coursework, extracurricular or leadership activities and awards, special talents or skills, personal statement (optional), and letters of recommendation (optional).
- The essay is a short-answer question (2 to 3 paragraphs or 250-500 words), while your supporting statement can be a longer response for sharing details about your experiences and interests.
- Submit your application early! You can add and update your supporting materials such as test scores, mid-year grades, awards or other recognition that you plan on including in your application for admission file throughout the academic year.
- After submitting your application, you will need to complete your Self-Reported Academic Record by the deadlines outlined above in order to receive an admissions decision in mid-December or mid-February.
- If you plan to major in architecture, interior design, engineering, nursing, or music, visit our College Placement Exams page to read about additional admission review and specific requirements for each program.
- Need help with your application? Contact your UT admissions counselor or our office M–F 9 a.m.–5 p.m. EST at 865-974-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
GPA and Test Scores
- UT calculates a weighted core GPA, accounting for Honors, AP, IB, and college dual enrollment courses, based on your Self-Reported Academic Record.
- UT calculates your core GPA from courses completed in sixteen core academic subjects listed as requirements. However, your chances of admission will not be affected if you do not have one or more of those courses.
- If you choose to include test scores as part of your application, we consider the highest ACT and SAT sub scores to calculate a composite superscore. You can retake the tests and send us your new scores through July 1, 2023.
Please note: Students seeking admission for Summer 2023 and Fall 2023 are required to include standardized test scores as part of their application.
- UT’s test codes are 4026 for ACT, 1843 for SAT.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Apply for admission by the November 1 early action deadline to be fully eligible for competitive scholarships. You can apply for competitive scholarship directly in the UT application. To be fully eligible for competitive scholarships, you must also complete your Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) by December 1.
- To receive an early estimated financial aid package, you will need to submit your application for admission by November 1, complete your SRAR by November 15, and complete the FAFSA by December 1.
- UT’s early action FAFSA deadline is December 1, and our priority FAFSA deadline is February 1. Our code is 003530.
- If you are a Tennessee resident, you may be eligible for the Tennessee Pledge or UT Promise Scholarship. You must apply for admission by December 15 and submit your FAFSA by February 1. If eligible and admitted as a first-year student, you will automatically receive one of these awards.
- If you are a Tennessee resident, you may be considered for the HOPE Scholarship. Submit your FAFSA early, but the deadline for fall semester awards is September 1 of your college entry year.
- Information about your residency classification is available on the registrar’s website.
Admission and Scholarship Decisions
- Students who apply by the early action deadline (November 1) and complete their application by November 15 will be notified of an admission decision in mid-December.
- Students who apply by the regular admission deadline (December 15) and complete their application by January 6 will be notified of an admission decision in mid-February. Undergraduate Admissions releases admissions decisions on a rolling basis after mid-February.
- Most competitive scholarships are awarded between December and March, and need-based scholarships and other forms of financial aid based on a student’s FAFSA are awarded in mid-March. Volunteer Scholarship awards are usually offered within two weeks of being admitted.
- Log in to your Go Vols Portal and click the “Confirm my enrollment,” checklist item on your Next Steps tab.
- Follow the prompts on the next page to pay your $250 confirmation deposit. The confirmation deadline is May 1.
- After confirming, navigate back to your Go Vols Portal to find your NetID and Student ID numbers.
- Next, set up your NetID and password.
- Use your NetID and password to log into MyUTK.
- Check MyUTK often for a list of required tasks to complete before arriving on campus, as well as important information about registering for housing, orientation, classes, and more.