Transfer Students

Take your next steps as a New Vol. Officially join the Volunteer family!

Next Steps for
Transfer Students

It’s great to be a Tennessee Vol! It only takes four easy steps to join us on Rocky Top:

counselor icon graphic

Locate Your NetID

You can locate your NetID and Student ID in your Go Vols Portal. You will need both to create your login and password in order to confirm your enrollment. Your NetID gives you access to university applications and services—including MyUTK, Canvas, and UT Email—and allows you to register for classes. Set up your online accounts here.

Need help with your NetID?

Contact the Help Desk at 865-974-9900.

checkmark icon graphic

Confirm Your Enrollment

Log in to your Go Vols Portal and pay the $250 deposit online. The deposit is nonrefundable and non transferable, but the funds are credited towards your first semester costs! Detailed step by step instructions are located in the enrollment checklist on your Go Vols Portal.

calendar icon graphic

Register for Orientation

Our three phase orientation program is the beginning of your journey as a Volunteer. This exciting experience for students and families gives you all the details you need for a strong start on Rocky Top! Register for a transfer session before enrolling in classes. You’ll be advised on which classes to take during orientation. Class offerings and schedules are available in the online timetable before the beginning of each academic term to help you plan!

More Information 

More information on these steps and a complete checklist of the tasks you need to complete before orientation are available on your MyUTK account.

transfer credits icon graphic

Review your transfer credit evaluation

College transcripts are evaluated after you are admitted to the university. Credit evaluations are typically completed within four weeks of your date of admission with priority given to confirmed students. During peak times, credit evaluations may take longer to process.

You can access your completed transfer credit evaluation in MyUTK under Academic Resources → Academic History.

Credits That Transfer

Transfer credit of similar content may be accepted from any two- or four-year regionally accredited institutions in the US. Students from colleges or universities not located in the US should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Center ( for transfer eligibility.

Transfer credit will be granted only for college level non-remedial courses in which a grade of D- or better was earned. Many UT programs require a grade of C or higher in courses in the major.

Credits that are not acceptable for transfer include courses that are remedial, occupational, technical, or non-credit, as well as career course work used for an applied science degree from career or technical programs.

Students bear the ultimate responsibility for educational planning, selecting courses, meeting program requirements, and adhering to policies and procedures. The university’s transfer credit policies are available from the Registrar’s Office.

The ACCP (Advanced College Credit Pathway) is a pathway program that allows advanced high school or first-year international college students to earn general education college credits to be applied towards a UT degree. This program gives international students a great start in preparing for college. UT partners with IPERC, which oversees the development and administration of the program abroad. Learn more about the ACCP at

Your Transfer GPA

Grades earned at other colleges and universities are used only for admission, course placement, and other academic decisions.

The official grade point average for any UT student does not include transfer grades. Prior to graduation, transfer students must have completed their last 30 credit hours at UT and their last 60 credit hours at a four-year college or university.

LD and UD Courses

Courses that transfer without an exact UT course equivalent may also transfer with the designated LD or UD.

  • LD = Lower Division (100–200 level) course credit
  • UD = Upper Division (300–400 level) course credit

Academic departments determine how undesignated credits (LD or UD) are used toward graduation requirements through the petitioning process.

Students should contact their college’s academic advising center or their major advisor for information on how to petition courses. Please note that a petition does not guarantee that the course will be approved.

Have questions about your credit evaluation?

Review your credit evaluation carefully and bring a copy with you to orientation to discuss with your academic advisor.

For questions about your credit evaluation, contact the transfer evaluators at or 865-946-3864.

rfi contact icon graphic

Submit the FAFSA

Update your previously filed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to include UT as your first-choice college/university. UT’s federal code is 003530. Submit the FAFSA each year to be considered for financial aid, grants, and institutional scholarships

applic icon graphic

Submit Your High School Transcript

The State of Tennessee requires all students submit a final high school transcript after confirming enrollment by August 15, 2024 in order to receive financial aid from the state, including the HOPE Scholarship.

Final High School Transcript Deadlines:

  • Summer: July 1
  • Fall: August 15
  • Spring: January 15

Admitted Students FAQs

Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about submitting test scores and transcripts once you are an admitted student. Remember, our team is always here to help if you have further questions. Give us a call at 865-974-1111 or email us at

How do I confirm enrollment?

Log into your Go Vols Portal and click the “Confirm my enrollment” checklist item to pay the non-refundable and non-transferrable $250 confirmation deposit.

If I decline enrollment after I pay the confirmation deposit, can I get a refund?

No, our confirmation deposit is non-refundable.