Remember, our team is always here to help if you have further questions. Give us a call at 865-974-1111 or email us at admissions@utk.edu.

How do I determine if I am an international student?

You are an international student if you meet one of the following:

  • You will require an F-1 visa to enter and study in the United States.
  • You are not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident status ( “green card”)
  • If you are in the process of obtaining your US permanent residency you will be classified as an international student until you submit proof of your permanent residency.

For international students how much does it cost to attend the University of Tennessee?

For a breakdown of cost for international students please visit the Undergraduate Budget Breakdown page.

For F1 visa purposes, here is the overall cost breakdown from UT’s International Student Services page.

How do international students apply? Is there a separate application?

No, there is not a separate application for international applicants. All first-year applicants can apply using the Common Application or register for a Go Vols account—your choice!

What is a first-year student?

A first-year student is someone who has completed secondary/higher secondary school and wants to attend UT and hasn’t been enrolled at a college or university. If an applicant is completing their Advanced levels they are still considered a first-year applicant.

I have graduated from high school and I have attended a college or university. How should I apply?

Please apply as a Transfer student. Visit our Transfer Website for more information.

I have attended a college or university but I do not want to use my credits from that institution.  Should I apply as a transfer applicant?

If you were enrolled in any accredited college or university you must apply as a transfer student and list ALL of the institutions you have attended on the application. Failure to apply as a transfer student or leave out your education history could cause your application to be denied.

Are international students eligible for scholarships or financial aid?

International students are not eligible for U.S. federal or state financial aid but are eligible for other sources of financial aid and scholarships. International applicants are considered for the same scholarship programs as our out-of-state applicants. For more information visit our first-year student scholarship webpage.

UT does not provide fully funded scholarships for international students.

Please note: UT reviews and updates scholarship programs annually.

Do I need to submit proof of English proficiency?

If your native language is not English, and you are not a United States citizen or a permanent resident, you must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting one of the approved exams below, or:

  • Provide proof of citizenship of a country from the approved list of official English language nations.
  • Provide an official high school transcript validating English was the language of instruction.
  • Graduate from a high school in the United States

Complete the UT English Language Institute’s (ELI) core intensive curriculum with a recommendation from the ELI faculty.

 If I do not have proof of English proficiency, can I still be considered for admission?

You can be considered for conditional admission and once you have met the minimum English requirements you will be considered for full admission. You will not be able to attend UT until you have received full admission. More information can be found under our Conditional admission requirements.

Do I need to submit standardized test scores?

Standardized test scores or additional requirements are needed in order to review your application if you are interested in the following programs:

  • College of Architecture and Design
  • College of Nursing
  • Pre-Pharmacy Direct Admit Program
  • College of Music
  • Tickle College of Engineering (Includes Computer Science)

View requirements for each of the programs here

Do I need to self-report my grades?

As an international student you do not need to complete the SRAR  (self-reported academic record) unless you attended a high school in the US.

How do I check the status of my application?

You can check the status of your application by logging into your Go Vols Portal.

 Do you require credential evaluation of my secondary school transcripts?

No, you will only need to upload a copy of your official high school transcript, mark sheets, diploma, or certificate depending on your educational system’s standards. If you are in your final year of secondary school, you should submit your most current transcripts.  

Where do I send my official final transcript and/or official documents?

Our admissions team will need official copies of your transcript, diploma, or certificate prior to enrollment if you attend a secondary school outside the US. Please review our country guidelines for the correct documents to submit as part of your application. 

Official transcripts are certified copies sent directly from the authorized school official. These can be sent electronically to intlugadmit@utk.edu with the subject line “Transcript” or by mail to:

The University of Tennessee
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
320 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996-0230

Your submitted transcript must also have a certified literal translation into English for any documents submitted in other languages.

What is the application deadline?

Our application deadlines can be found here.  Please pay attention to the application submission and application completion deadlines.

How long does it take to process my application?

Our decision release dates can be found here.  For our Spring intake, the university begins reviewing applications by mid-September and the process takes approximately two weeks from the time the application is submitted.

I am an international student at a Tennessee high school, will I be considered an in-state applicant?

Determining in-state residency depends on many factors.  You can learn more on the Registrar’s Student Residency Classification page.  Furthermore, their FAQ page lists the immigration requirements for in-state residency under their international student question.

 As an international student can I waive the application fee?

Unfortunately, the application fee cannot be waived for international applicants.

Although the Common App allows you to request an application fee waiver, it does not guarantee that your application fee may be waived.

Official English Language Nations

The following are countries that recognize English as an official language. If your country of citizenship is listed below, you are exempt from the English Certification requirement for application to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

AnguillaNew Zealand
Antigua and BarbudaNigeria
The BahamasNorfolk Island
BarbadosNorthern Mariana Islands
BelgiumPapua New Guinea
BotswanaPitcairn Islands
British Virgin IslandsRwanda
BurundiSaint Kitts and Nevis
CameroonSaint Lucia
Cayman IslandsSeychelles
Christmas IslandSierra Leone
Cook IslandsSingapore
DominicaSint Maarten
FijiSolomon Islands
GhanaSouth Africa
GrenadaSouth Sudan
Hong KongSwaziland
JerseyTrinidad and Tobago
KenyaTurks and Caicos Islands
MaltaUnited Kingdom
Marshall IslandsZambia
Federated States of MicronesiaZimbabwe

Source: Central Intelligence Agency’s World Fact Book publication Access date: 5/17/2018, www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/docs/guidetowfbook.html

Ready to Apply?

We can’t wait to review your application for admission! Create a Go Vols account to start your application, or choose the University of Tennessee, Knoxville on your Common Application!

Request Information

Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on the latest information and events happening on campus. It’s the best way to add a little orange to your mailbox!

Find My Counselor

Your admissions counselor will be with you every step of the way on your journey to Rocky Top! They’ll be more than happy to answer any questions you have and help you through the application process.