Remember, our team is always here to help if you have further questions. Give us a call at 865-974-1111 or email us at admissions@utk.edu.

Getting Started

Who is required to complete the SRAR?

All first-year applicants who live in the United States, permanent residents or on a U.S. military base must complete a SRAR.

Who should NOT complete the SRAR?

If you fall into one of the exceptions below, you are not required to complete the SRAR. Click here if you are an International applicant.

  • Applicants who have not followed an academic curriculum patterned after the U.S. system must submit official or certified copies of all secondary school records and/or examination results. This includes students who have attended an institution not designed after the U.S. system for any length of time.
  • GED graduates – students must submit their official GED transcript along with official partial high school transcript(s).

Do home-educated/home-schooled students need to complete the SRAR?

Yes. If you have followed an academic curriculum designed after the traditional U.S. system, home-educated students will need to complete the SRAR. If the curriculum followed cannot be represented on the SRAR, please contact our helpful admissions staff at admissions@utk.edu, or call 865-974-1111 for assistance.

What if I have already graduated from high school?

You will need to complete the SRAR to provide all of your coursework and final grades if you are considered a first-year applicant—SRAR is only required for first-year applicants. If you have taken any courses at another higher education institution, you will need to apply as a transfer student. If you have taken a gap year and not taken any additional coursework at a higher education institution, you can still apply as a first-year student.

Where do I create my SRAR?

After you submit your application, log into your Go Vols Portal to find the link to the SRAR system. If you have not already created a SRAR account, you will be prompted to do so. Once you have a SRAR account, you will need to link it to your UT admissions application and submit.

When do I complete the SRAR?

Your admissions application will not be reviewed until your application fee and SRAR have been received. You must complete the SRAR by November 15 to receive an admissions decision in mid-December, and by January 19 to receive an admissions decision in late February.

Students can start completing their SRAR as early as their freshman year in high school!

What if I don’t complete the SRAR?

All first-year applicants (excluding the exceptions detailed above) must complete the SRAR. You must have a completed SRAR in order for your application to be reviewed. If you do not complete your SRAR, we will not review you for admission. If you are unable to complete it, please contact us at admissions@utk.edu or call 865-974-1111 for assistance.

Can my SRAR be used by multiple colleges/universities?

Yes. There are many other universities that also use the SRAR. You should check with each university’s admissions website to see if they accept the SRAR. For UT, log in to your Go Vols Portal and click the “Link to SRAR” button.

Can I change the SRAR once it is complete? What if my SRAR is incorrect?

Once your SRAR is complete and submitted, you cannot make changes to your SRAR. If your SRAR is incorrect, a UT representative will contact you.

If you need to make changes to your SRAR, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at admissions@utk.edu or 865-974-1111—we will be happy to help you update your SRAR.

High Schools

What if I attended more than one high school?

Please start with the school from which you are graduating. If courses from previous schools are shown with grades and credits on your current transcript, you may enter them all under that one school. If your previous grades are NOT listed on your current transcript, you will need to obtain a copy of your previous transcript and enter that school separately.

What if I can’t find my high school listed on the SRAR website?

The SRAR website uses a database of names from College Board, which may vary slightly from the everyday name of your school. Try to use variants of the official school name when searching for your school. For example, if you attended Central High School in Knoxville, enter “Central” in the search box. Make sure you select the correct state. If you have it, you may also use your school’s College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) code when searching. If you still can’t find your high school, please contact your admissions counselor or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at admissions@utk.edu or 865-974-1111.

What if my high school grading scale changed during my time in high school?

If your high school changed grading scales during your time in high school, please report your grades as a letter grade. Use the grading scale in place for that academic year and convert your numeric grade to letter grade for your SRAR.

If your school already lists a letter grade, please report the letter grade. Using the incorrect grading scale will change your overall GPA and will create a discrepancy when UT calculates your official GPA.

Coursework and Grades

How do I enter my grades on the SRAR?

Please follow the instructions below based on the format of your high school transcript when entering your grades. Remember to include all courses listed on your transcript in addition to your core courses.

Do not average grades. If semester is reported, add both grades; if yearly grades are reported, add only the final grade.

If your high school transcript has…

  1. Only semester grades: Enter your semester grades as shown on your transcript.
  2. Block schedule – full year credit with one semester of coursework: Enter the final grade and select Full Year for the course length.
  3. Only final grades: Enter the final grade and select Full Year for course length if the course was over both semesters. If your course was only one semester, you may enter the final grade and select Semester for that course length.
  4. Only trimester grades: Enter your trimester grades as shown on your transcript.
  5. Only quarter grades: Enter your quarter grades as shown on your transcript.
  6. Both quarter and final grades: Use the final grade. If the course was four quarters, and you are provided both quarter and final grades, please enter only the final grade and select Full Year for course length.
  7. Both semester grades and final grades: Use the final grade. If the course was two semesters and you are provided both semester and final grades, please enter only the final grade and select Full Year for course length.
  8. Both trimester grades and final grades: Use the final grade. If the course was three trimesters, and you are provided both trimester and final grades, please enter only the final grade and select Full Year for course length.
  9. Block scheduling: You will select Block Scheduled from the course length drop down menu. Credits/Units will default to 1 but can be edited if needed.

Tennessee Applicants

Due to the State of Tennessee’s Department of Education decision to move to a 10-point grading scale, you will need to self-report your high school grades differently.

  • For coursework taken during grades 9-10, please self-report either numeric or letter grades using the previous 7-point grading system.
  • For coursework taken during grades 11-12, please self-report letter grades using the new 10-point grading system.

If you are unsure of your school’s grading scale, please contact your high school counselor.

Texas Applicants

If you are an applicant graduating from a public school in Texas, and your school places the following designations next to your course, please do the following:

J, K, Q, and H: Please select HONORS as the COURSE LEVEL


Your admissions decision may be negatively impacted by failing to correctly identify the weight of the course.

If your transcript does not fall into one of the above categories, please contact our helpful admissions team at admissions@utk.edu or call 865-974-1111.

How do I enter my grades if my school uses pluses/minuses?

We ask that you enter grades exactly as you see them on your transcript. Be sure to complete the “Grading Scale” section of the SRAR and check the box that indicates your school uses pluses and minuses. You should then see these options when entering grades.

How do I enter my weighted grades?

You should report all grades exactly as they are listed on your transcript. You will use the Course Level field on the SRAR to indicate the type of course (e.g. honors, AP, dual enrollment, etc.).

I entered my courses and grades in the Common Application. Do I still have to complete my SRAR?

Yes, UT requires all applicants to complete a SRAR in order to be considered for admission. Students applying to UT via the Common Application are still required to complete a SRAR.

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Dual Credit (SDC)?

Dual Enrollment is a postsecondary course, taught either at the postsecondary institution or at the high school, by postsecondary faculty or credentialed adjunct faculty. Dual Credit (SDC) or “Statewide Dual Credit” are college-level courses taught at the high school level by trained high school teachers. You can visit this page for more information.

Do I need to include high school courses I took while I was still in middle school/junior high school?

Yes—any middle school course listed on your transcript and taken for high school credit must be listed on your SRAR. If your courses are not on your transcript (with a grade), you will exclude them from the SRAR.

Do I report all of the classes taken and grades earned that are reflected on my transcript?

All attempted coursework must be listed on the SRAR. If you repeated a course, you must record both attempts. If you withdrew from a class before earning a grade, please list the course and record the grade as withdrawn. The same is true for courses that you earned a grade of Pass or Fail.

What if I repeated or withdrew from one or more of my courses, or I took a course for Pass/Fail?

Please list all attempts on your SRAR, including repeats and withdrawals; the same is true for courses in which your grade was Pass or Fail. Your SRAR must match exactly what is on your high school transcript. Pass/Fail grades will be included/worked into your Core GPA calculation.

How do I report my senior coursework?

Since we encourage applicants to apply early in their senior year, you should list your courses and enter the grades as “In Progress,” if you have not yet received a final grade. Once you have submitted your SRAR excluding senior year updates, we will not accept any changes you make on the SRAR website. To update your SRAR after it has been submitted, please contact us at admissions@utk.edu or 865-974-1111.

Do I have to submit my final senior grades?

Yes—all admitted students who choose to enroll at UT are required to submit final official high school and college dual enrollment transcripts by July 1 to verify the grades entered on their SRAR. Please ask your high school guidance counselor to send an official transcript through Parchment Express (Naviance), Slate.org, through CommonApp, by emailing it to us at undergradtranscripts@utk.edu or mail in a sealed envelope to:

University of Tennessee Undergraduate Admissions
320 Student Services Building
1331 Circle Park
Knoxville, TN 37996

What if I am taking courses in the summer?

Select “Summer School” from the Course Length drop down menu.

What if my senior schedule changes?

If you have not submitted your SRAR for review, you may log into your SRAR account and make necessary updates. If you have already submitted your SRAR for review, please contact us at admissions@utk.edu or 865-974-1111 to make changes.


When do I send my official high school and college (if dual enrolled) transcripts?

Only applicants offered admission who plan to enroll at the University of Tennessee are required to submit official high school and/or college transcripts after graduation. These transcripts will be used to validate the information on the SRAR. Please note: Students with inaccurate data on the SRAR may be denied admission to the University, have their admission rescinded, and have their registration cancelled if enrolled.

I was not able to upload my unofficial transcript with the SRAR. What should I do?

If you have submitted or linked your SRAR to the University of Tennessee and it did not include a copy of your unofficial transcript, you may log into your Go Vols Portal and upload an electronic copy there. You do not need to mail an official copy to our office until after you have confirmed your enrollment with UT.

I submitted my SRAR but have received notice that I still need to submit my high school transcript. Is that correct?

Yes. We require an unofficial copy of your transcript to be uploaded along with your SRAR. If you submitted your SRAR and did not include a transcript, please log into your Go Vols Portal and upload a copy of your transcript there. You do not need to mail an official copy to our office until after you have confirmed your enrollment with UT.

More Questions?

I have more questions about the SRAR. Who should I contact?

We recommend reaching out to your Admissions Counselor or contacting Undergraduate Admissions at admissions@utk.edu or 865-974-1111.

Ready to Apply?

We can’t wait to review your application for admission! Create a Go Vols account to start your application, or choose the University of Tennessee, Knoxville on your Common Application!

Request Information

Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on the latest information and events happening on campus. It’s the best way to add a little orange to your mailbox!

Find My Counselor

Your admissions counselor will be with you every step of the way on your journey to Rocky Top! They’ll be more than happy to answer any questions you have and help you through the application process.