There has never been a better time to become a Tennessee Volunteer. The University of Tennessee, Knoxville is a university on the rise and more students than ever have applied to join the Volunteer family and light the way for future Volunteers.
Applications Received by November 1
UT is experiencing record growth in undergraduate first-year applications and the most competitive applicant pool in our 228-year history. For Fall 2023 entry, UT received 38,483 applications by the November 1 Early Action deadline, a 43.2% increase and 11,601 more applications compared to 2021.
Of applications received by UT’s November 1 Deadline:
- 25% percent were from in-state students (9,609).
- In-state applications increased by 15.9% over last year.
- 75% from out-of-state and international students (28,874).
- Out-of-state applications increased by 55.3% over last year.
As of December 12, UT received more than 44,300 first-year applications, which is a 43 percent increase compared to the same time last year.
Fall 2023 Class
As Tennessee’s land grant and flagship university, UT is committed to serving the state by providing an accessible and affordable education to qualified Tennessee residents. The university stands by that commitment and is proud to offer most of our in-state applicants a pathway to enroll at UT.
Growth in applications and increased retention and persistence rates among continuing students mean that overall undergraduate enrollment is projected to continue to see strong growth in Fall 2023. To deliver the best Volunteer experience for all students across all four years and in course offerings, residential experience, and student life, UT will reduce the size of its first-year class and enroll fewer first-year students than last fall. Because UT will be enrolling a smaller first-year class, fewer students will be admitted in the first and second admissions release, with more students invited to join a waitlist following the second release.
November 1 Application Statistics
- 38,483 applications received by November 1, 2022 (+43.2% increase compared to 2021)
- Applications from all 95 Tennessee counties, 448 Tennessee high schools, 50 states, 6,326 US high schools, 54 countries
- 9,609 In-state apps (+15.9% increase since 2021)
- 28,874 Out-of-state apps (+55.3% increase since 2021)
- 22–29 Mid 50% Self-Reported Composite ACT (1110-1340 SAT Equivalent)
- 3.64–4.32 Mid 50% UT Core Weighted GPA
- Top 5 majors requested on the application: Nursing, Marketing, Finance, Biological Sciences, Psychology
First Decision Release
December 20, 2022 at 7pm EST | UT will release the first round of admission decisions for those who applied by November 1 and completed their application by November 15. Applicants will receive one of two decisions:
- Admit: Students offered First-Year Admission for Fall 2023
- Deferral: Students deferred will receive an updated admission decision during the second release in mid-February
Learn more about each decision here.
Second Decision Release
Mid-February | UT will release the second round of admission decisions for those who applied by December 15 and completed their application by January 6 and students deferred during the first-release in mid-December.
Please contact our helpful team in Undergraduate Admissions and One Stop at email@example.com or 865-974-1111.