How to complete your SRAR

We require all first-year students attending a US high school to self-report their high school grades and ACT/SAT scores to complete their application for admission.

rfi contact icon graphic

Reporting High School Grades

Before you begin, have these things ready:

  • An unofficial copy of your high school transcript
  • Standardized test scores

First-year applicants are required to report their grades exactly as they appear on their high school transcript. UT also requires applicants to upload the unofficial transcript used to self-report grades. Unofficial high school transcripts can be uploaded either to the SRAR itself, or in your Go Vols Portal.

When self-reporting your grades and scores, DO:

  • Enter your grades exactly as they appear on your high school transcript and score report.
  • Enter final grades for all courses completed in grades 9 through 11.
  • Choose “in-progress” for classes you haven’t completed.
  • Type in course names as they appear on your transcript, even if they aren’t listed in the SRAR.
  • Include ALL grades for any repeated courses taken.
  • Report grades as letter grades if your grading scale changed, and convert numeric grades to letter grades using the scale in place for that academic year.
  • Report all courses listed on your transcript.
  • Upload your unofficial transcript and score report.

When self-reporting your grades and scores, DON’T:

  • Do not apply weight to your grades.
  • Convert your grades into another format (unless otherwise specified, for example, if your grading scale changed)
  • Average your grades.
  • Send official high school transcripts—we won’t need these until later!

Once admitted to UT and after confirming enrollment, please ask your high school counselor to submit your final, official high school transcript in one of the following ways by July 1:

Mail an official transcript in a sealed envelope to the following address:

University of Tennessee Undergraduate Admissions
320 Student Services Building
1331 Circle Park
Knoxville, TN 37996

applic icon graphic

Reporting Standardized Test Scores

Official ACT/SAT (ERW + M) scores can be sent to UT in the following ways:

  • Directly to UT from testing agencies
  • Be included on high school transcripts from high school counselors
  • Submitted through your Go Vols Portal
  • Entered into the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR)

We use the superscoring method, meaning we take your highest section scores of each test taken to determine your new composite score for application review. This usually yields a higher composite score, making your application more competitive.

You can take these tests as many times as you want and report your new scores in your Go Vols Portal. We will recalculate your overall composite score and update your application. In order to be fully considered for institutional scholarships, standardized tests must be received prior to July 1 at the end of your senior year.

Our codes for standardized tests are as follows:

  • ACT: 4026
  • SAT: 1843

Read more about our standardized test policy.

SRAR Video Tutorials

The videos below will help you navigate the SRAR process from start to finish. Click the “CC” icon on the video screen in the lower right corner to view the videos with closed captioning.If you encounter any problems not addressed in the videos, see if they’ve been answered on our SRAR FAQ page or reach out to your admissions counselor.

YouTube video

Getting Started

In this video, we’ll help you get started and show you the basics of setting up your SRAR profile.

YouTube video

Entering High Schools

Learn how to find and enter your high school from the SRAR’s vast database. If you’ve attended multiple schools, we will show you how to enter them here as well.

YouTube video

Entering Coursework, Part 1

Part 1 will walk through the steps of entering your traditional school information before getting to the actual coursework.

YouTube video

Entering Coursework, Part 2

Part 2 shows you the steps of entering your actual coursework into your SRAR.

YouTube video

Entering Exams

This video walks you through entering standardized test scores in your SRAR.

YouTube video

Uploading Documents

This video will show you how to upload your unofficial transcript and other documents. This is the final step before submitting your SRAR for admissions review.


Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about submitting test scores and transcripts. Remember, our team is always here to help if you have further questions. Give us a call at 865-974-1111 or email us at

Who is required to complete the SRAR?

All first-year applicants who live in the United States, permanent residents or on a U.S. military base must complete a SRAR.

Who should NOT complete the SRAR?

If you fall into one of the exceptions below, you are not required to complete the SRAR. Click here if you are an International applicant.

  • Applicants who have not followed an academic curriculum patterned after the U.S. system must submit official or certified copies of all secondary school records and/or examination results. This includes students who have attended an institution not designed after the U.S. system for any length of time.
  • GED graduates – students must submit their official GED transcript along with official partial high school transcript(s).

Do home-educated/home-schooled students need to complete the SRAR?

Yes. If you have followed an academic curriculum designed after the traditional U.S. system, home-educated students will need to complete the SRAR. If the curriculum followed cannot be represented on the SRAR, please contact our helpful admissions staff at, or call 865-974-1111 for assistance.