Skip to content

International Students

Diverse, global, multicultural—that’s UT! Be a Vol. Apply today.

Each year, students from more than one hundred countries enroll at UT and make Rocky Top their home. Our student body represents the Bahamas, Canada, China, Denmark, India, Japan, South Korea, Nigeria, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, and the United Kingdom, just to name a few.

We provide you with an outstanding academic experience, and our campus offices help you succeed as a student. Students find that UT’s campus and the city of Knoxville are both safe, hospitable, and cosmopolitan.

UT’s Ready for the World initiative is our commitment to provide programs that contribute to each person’s understanding and appreciation of the rich cultural and intellectual traditions of peoples of all nations.

International Students

General Admissions Policies and Procedures for International Students

An international student is someone who will attend college in the United States on a visa (including F-1, J-1, H-4).

If you are an international student coming to UT on an exchange program, your application process is different from the steps below. Please visit our incoming exchange student page for the forms you need to submit.

Complete and submit an application.

Register as a VIP (Vol in Progress) and apply online. Use your name as it appears on your passport. If you will need a nonimmigrant (F-1) visa to enter the United States, you must include your permanent address on the application and an international or US mailing address. You must also include a valid e-mail address in your application for future communication from UT. Freshmen or transfer applicants may also use the Common Application.

Submit the non-refundable application fee.

Please refer to our online application for current fee amounts. Payment by credit card or electronic check is required for the online application. We also accept international money order payments (drawn on a US bank, in US dollars).

Have official copies of academic transcripts evaluated.

If you have completed any high school or college academic work outside the United States, it might be necessary to have an evaluation of your transcript by one of the companies listed below. In some cases, we can evaluate your high school transcript here at UT. International applicants must have a course-by-course evaluation completed on all college work by one of these companies. UT will only be able to process an application after receiving the necessary report from the evaluation company. Contact Thomas Broadhead at for questions concerning transcript evaluation.

Companies offering these evaluation services include:

Note: Students applying for freshman admission to the College of Engineering must also submit an official SAT I score or ACT score to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. A minimum SAT I mathematics score of 570 (prior to March 2016) or 590 (after March 2016) or minimum ACT mathematics score of 25 is required. Additional information is available from the Tickle College of Engineering.

Transfer applicants must meet the minimum requirements listed below to be considered for admission to a major within the College of Engineering. These minimum standards do not guarantee admission to the intended major. The final admission decision for the major resides with the academic department.

Applicants must have earned a grade of C or better in each of these specific courses or their equivalent:

  • English I
  • Chemistry or computer science (computer science applicants only)
  • Calculus
  • Any physics course, if taken

External international transfer students who are denied admission to the College of Engineering will still be considered for admission as University Exploratory students. Admission as a University Exploratory student does not allow admission into engineering or the study of engineering classes. Exploratory students will be academically advised by the College of Arts and Sciences until they select an arts and sciences major or another major at UT that is outside the College of Engineering.

International Readmission Students: If you were previously enrolled at UT, but you left campus and enrolled in college coursework at a school in another country, you must submit a detailed or course-by-course evaluation through one of the evaluation agencies previously mentioned on this page so you can receive credit toward graduation at UT.

Demonstrate English proficiency.

If your native language is not English, you must demonstrate English proficiency unless you are a US citizen or a permanent resident. You can do this by:

  • Receiving a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 523 on the paper-based test, 193 on the computer-based test, or 70 on the Internet-based (iBT). UT’s code is 1843.
  • Receiving an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) minimum score of 6.5.
  • Completing two semesters or three quarters of college-level English composition with a grade of C or better at an accredited college or university in the United States.
  • Taking the ACT (English score of 21 is required) or SAT (evidence-based reading and writing score of 540 is required). Scores must be received from ACT or the Educational Testing Service. Copies are not acceptable.
  • Completing the ELS 112 intensive program.
  • Completing the UT English Language Institute’s (ELI) core intensive curriculum with a recommendation from the ELI faculty.

Conditional Admission

Prospective freshmen or transfer undergraduate students who meet all admission requirements except for English proficiency will be offered conditional admission to UT. Students who receive this type of admission will be issued an I-20 form for an F-1 visa or change of status by the UT English Language Institute. Students who are offered conditional admission must meet English proficiency requirements before being admitted to a degree program and before being allowed to enroll in non-ESL courses. Conditionally admitted students who wish to enter the United States using UT’s I-20 must enroll in UT’s English Language Institute.

Double Conditional Admission

Freshman applicants to the College of Engineering who meet admission requirements except for English and math (ACT math 25 minimum or SAT I math 570; scores as prior to March 2016) will be offered Double Conditional Admission to UT. Students offered this type of admission will be issued an I-20 form for an F-1 visa or change of status by the UT English Language Institute (ELI). Students must meet English proficiency requirements during enrollment at ELI and must also fulfill the math requirement by taking the Placement Exam of the Department of Mathematics, earning a minimum score of Level 3, before they can begin taking classes in their degree programs.

Submit financial documentation (F-1 or J-1 visa status).

After an offer of admission is made to you, the Center for International Education (CIE) will provide information concerning the submission of the International Student Financial Statement Form. It must be completed by every international student who needs an I-20. You can get the form on the CIE website.

If your government is sponsoring you, you must submit an official letter from the government stating that they will cover all expenses during your academic studies at UT. Please consult the CIE website for a list of sponsored student services.

Submit a copy of the photo page of your international passport.

This copy must be submitted along with your financial documentation if it was not submitted with your application for admission.

Apply for an appropriate US visa.

Read tips on student visas from the US State Department.

International Student Application Deadlines
Entry Regular Admission Deadline Application Completion Deadline Confirmation Deadline
Spring Entry September 15 October 15 N/A
Summer Entry February 15 March 15 April 15
Fall Entry May 15 June 15 July 1

Questions about the International application process? Contact Thomas Broadhead at



The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.