International Students

InternationalDiverse! Global! Multi-cultural! That’s UT!

Each year, students who call more than ninety countries home enroll at UT. Here are some examples our student body represents: the Bahamas, Canada, China, Denmark, Hungary, India, Japan, Korea, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.

We provide you with an outstanding academic experience, and our campus offices help you succeed as a student. Students say they find living on the UT campus or in the city of Knoxville is safe, hospitable, and cosmopolitan.

Download our international e-brochure

UT’s Ready for the World initiative is our commitment to provide programs that contribute to each person’s understanding and appreciation of the rich cultural and intellectual traditions of peoples of all nations.

General Admissions Policies and Procedures for International Students

An international student is someone who will attend college in the United States on a visa (including F-1, J-1, H-4).

Follow these deadlines for submitting your application documents: Important Deadlines.

Register as a VIP (Vol in Progress) and apply online. Use your name as it will appear on your passport. If you will need a non-immigrant (F-1) visa to enter the US, you must include an international address on the application. You must also include a valid e-mail address in your application for future communication from UT. Freshmen or Transfer applicants may also use the Common Application.

Please refer to our online application for current fee amounts. Payment by credit card or electronic check is required for the online application. We also accept international money order payments (payable on a US bank).

You must submit your official transcripts to an evaluation agency that’s a member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services). UT is only able to process an application after receiving the necessary report from the evaluation company.

Companies offering these evaluation services include:

Note: Students applying for admission to the College of Engineering must also submit an official SAT I score or ACT score to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. A minimum SAT I mathematics score of 570 or minimum ACT mathematics score of 25 is required. Additional information is available from the College of Engineering.

Entering first-year students: An evaluation of the secondary degree earned, with a statement of equivalency to study in the United States, and a calculated Grade Point Average (GPA) are required.

Transfer students: A detailed or course-by-course evaluation including a calculated college GPA is required for all college work completed in a country other than the United States. Applicants who have completed fewer than 30 transferable college credit hours will also be required to submit an evaluation (services listed above) for entering freshman students that interprets all secondary or high school work.

Applicants must meet the minimum requirements listed below to be considered for admission to a major within the College of Engineering. These minimum standards do not guarantee admission to the intended major. The final admission decision for the major resides with the academic department.

Applicants must have earned a “C” or better in each of these specific courses or their equivalent:

  • English I
  • Chemistry or computer science (computer science applicants only)
  • Calculus
  • Any physics course, if taken

External transfer students who are denied admission to the College of Engineering will still be considered for admission as University Exploratory students. Admission as a University Exploratory student does not allow admission into engineering or the study of engineering classes. Exploratory students will be academically advised by the College of Arts and Sciences until you select an arts and sciences major or another major at UT that’s outside the College of Engineering.

Readmission Students: If you were previously enrolled at UT, but you left campus and enrolled in college course work at a school in another country, you must submit a detailed or course-by-course evaluation through one of the evaluation agencies previously mentioned on this page so you can receive credit toward graduation at UT.

If your native language is not English, you must demonstrate English proficiency unless you are a US citizen or a permanent resident. You can do this by:

Note: Prospective undergraduate students who meet all admission requirements except for English proficiency requirements will receive a conditional admission to UT. Students who receive this type of admission will be issued an I-20 form for an F-1 visa or change of status by the UT English Language Institute. Students who receive a conditional admission must meet English proficiency requirements before being admitted to a degree program and before being allowed to enroll in non-ESL courses. Conditionally admitted students who wish to enter the US using UT’s I-20 must enroll in UT’s English Language Institute.

After an offer of admission is made to you, the Center for International Education (CIE) will provide information concerning the submission of the International Student Financial Statement Form. It must be completed by every international student who needs an I-20. You can get the form on the CIE website.

If your government is sponsoring you, you must submit an official letter from the government stating that they will cover all expenses during your academic studies at UT. Please consult the CIE website for a list of sponsored student services.

This copy must be submitted along with your financial documentation, if it was not submitted with your application for admission.

Entering Term Spring Summer Fall
Application submitted September 15 February 15 April 15
All documents received October 15 March 15 May 15